Sunday, March 8, 2009

Kago's "love basket" overfloweth into scandal

The news just broke over at Hello! Online that Kago Ai, former member of Morning Musume, Minimoni, Tanpopo, and W, has allegedly caused the divorce between 33-year-old Mizumoto Hidejiro, fellow actor in Benten-dori no Hitobito and son of Kago's psychic of choice Shimo Yoshiko, and his 23-year-old wife, who is also the mother of the couple's three children.

Mizumoto's wife Asato is seeking monetary reparations to the tune of 10 million yen (approximately 100,000 USD) from Kago and 50 million (approximately 500,000 USD) yen from her ex-husband for the alleged affair. She claims that the affair began, and that Kago had moved into her husband's apartment, before the couple's divorce on January 8.

My thoughts

I love Kago. She is my favorite young woman to have ever been in Hello! Project. We are very close in age (she's a few weeks older than me). Before she was fired her voice had really begun to mature into something beautiful. She was the most beautiful young woman in Hello! Project before she went under house arrest and lost all of that weight. I love that in her blog and her recent interviews she's so open and (as far as I know) truthful. It's sometimes painful to hear what she has to say because it destroys my mental image of her as the ever-happy youthful spirit that she presented as while active in Hello! Project, but the intimacy of it makes me feel like I actually know her.

I'm really interested to hear what she's going to have to say about this current scandal. I think it's very possible that the affair didn't start until the couple had already gone their separate ways. This ex-wife is asking for quite a bit of money (that Kago probably doesn't have), and is presenting a self-proclaimed sarcastic note and some overnight clothing as proof. I'm sure I've left clothing and make-up at my close friends' apartments, but it doesn't mean I'm living with them.

I think an important thing to keep in mind is that divorces don't happen spontaneously the moment that a couple decides they want to call it quits. If the affair did begin before January 8, did it start before or after the couple had split? I'm going to err on the side of caution before accusing Kago of being a home wrecker.

A very good friend of mine got married when he was quite young, and after a few years of abuse he got out of it. Before they were legally divorced he got involved with another woman (who he is now very happily married to). How ever, there were no children in the first marriage. Having kids absolutely changes everything. You're no longer just affecting yourself and another adult.

This man has three children with his ex-wife. Because of this I sincerely hope that Kago didn't begin the relationship until the couple had decided they were going to divorce, and that she didn't pressure Mizumoto to get divorced.

She's still very young and has had a bizarre life, but I don't think even that could justify inciting divorce when children are involved, especially considering her hangups about her own parents' divorce. I want Kago to be happy and successful because she has brought me so much happiness, but I don't want her happiness to infringe on others'.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the whole thing seems suspicious. Here's why:

    She supposedly has been *sleeping* at the man's apartment for the past several months. Excuse me? Doesn't he live with his wife and three children? Apparently not. So, how could she have caused the divorce when he doesn't even live with his wife any more? I think it's clear the marriage was on the skids anyway and maybe this did "cause" the final divorce but I seriously doubt Kago is stupid enough to have gotten involved with a happily married man, wrecked the marriage, and then basically moved in with him before he was divorced.

    There's something else going on, but I just hope that, whatever happened, it doesn't ruin her in the eyes of the Japanese public, especially considering her problems from her teenage years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I think I've figured out why she stopped updating her blog. She must have known about this a day or two ago.

    ReplyDelete