Thursday, January 15, 2009

Rackles' Berry Best


This week we saw the release of Berryz Koubou first best of album Berryz Koubou Special Best Vol.1. The album has 18 tracks: 1 brand new song, 11 single A-sides, 1 single B-side, and 5 album tracks.

Over the last 5 years, Berryz has accumulated quite a large body of work so it is understandable that making a comprehensive best-of would be difficult. However I think they left out some great tracks, so I've made my own tracklist.

1. Otoko no Ko*
One of the best original songs from an album in H!P history. This is truly a "Say Yeah! ~Motto Miracle Night~"-caliber track.

2. Anata Nashi de wa Ikite Yukenai*
Berryz debut single is one of their best. The sound is fresh even for today, and the girls all sound great especially considering how young they were.

3. Semi*
A really beautiful ballad that is brimming with emotion.

4. Koi no Jubaku*
The instrumentation in this one is so original and energetic, how could you not love it?

5. Special Generation*
It's been called their "Love Machine," and for good reason. From the first whispered syllable this song can get a whole crowd pumped.

6. Yume de Do Up
This one has a great ethereal sound that works really well at concerts, and the line distribution is perfect.

7. 21ji Made no Cinderella
I couldn't believe Maiha's final single didn't make onto the best-of album! Ever since I realized they were saying "Cinderellove" in the chorus I've been in love with this songs. Portmanteaus are the way into my heart apparently.

8. Joshi basket bu ~Asaren Atta Hi no Kamigata~
When I first discovered this song, I couldn't stop myself from hitting repeat every time it came up on my playlist. I love Dai ② Seichouki's slice of life songs, but this one is by far the best.

9. Gag 100kaibun Aishite Kudasai
Such a goofy song! And yet I can't get enough of the frantic piano, the awkward dance, or Chinami's "no nyu"s.

10. Jiriri Kiteru*
The piano piece in the background, the summer-time angst, and the strangely sexy dance make this a definite keeper.

11. Munasawagi Scarlet
Like "Koi no Jubaku," this track has a really original sound to it. The rock guitars, the gypsy feel, and Risako's keening before "YES MY LOVE": all awesome

12. Kokuhaku no Funsui Hiroba
I honestly cannot believe this didn't make it onto the best of album. This song is the very embodiment of adolescent confusion and infatuation. It has the best instrumentation of any Berryz song ever. Momoko's voice sounds richer than that of any other girl in the history of H!P. Miyabi calls herself a Pierrot. The PV has strong lesbian overtones. How could it possibly be better?

13. Sakura wa Rakusa
Part of what made 4th Ai no Nanchara Shisuu so awesome was all the awesome singles featured on it. The other part was "Sakura wa Rakusa." The high-pitched Momoko palindrome initially drew me to this song, but all of Saki's amazing solo lines were really what made it sink in. I still wonder if they are demanding their "crazy baby" to love them or their baby to "love them crazy." This is why commas are important to the English language.

14. Warera! Berryz Kamen
"Tsukiatteru no ni Kataomoi" is an okay single, but the concept of Berryz Kamen was one of the best things ever. I would really like to see "Warera! Cutie Ranger" released sometime soon as well.

15. Dschinghis Khan*
A new Berryz classic. This may replace "Special Generation" as their "Love Machine." It's crazy and campy and Mongolian and distinctly Berryz.

16. Yuke Yuke Monkey Dance*
This seems to be a song that fans either love or hate, and I'm obviously in the love camp. Chinami and Saki rocked the vocals and the PV on this one.

17. MADAYADE*
I love the '60s vibe that this song has. The instrumentation is very "Misirlou" and the line distribution couldn't be better!

18. BE*
I've always thought the Berryz were great vocalists, but this song went above and beyond anything else they've ever done. During the last chorus they sound as rich and mature as "Memory Seishun no Hikari"-era Morning Musume. This song also happens to be the icing on the cake of the unbelievable glory that 5(FIVE) is.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see such a refreshing look at j-pop! Thanks for the blog. I'll be reading.

    :)

    ReplyDelete