Thursday, February 19, 2009

Shugo Chara Egg!'s 2nd single "Shugo Shugo!"

The PV for "Shugo Shugo!" has been released on Dohhh UP! This single will be released on February 25 and the single V will be released on March 4. "Shugo Shugo!" is the second opening theme for Shugo Chara!! Doki.



Link to video on Dohhh UP!

My overwhelming initial reaction:

KANON~~!

I really don't think that girl could get any cuter, and she has such a surprisingly nice voice! She's turning 14 on March 12 (making her almost exactly 7 years younger than me), and I think she has a long and fruitful career ahead of her.

But on to the PV...

When I first heard about this unit last year I wasn't enthusiastic. I didn't know much about the Eggs and Maeda hadn't been a stand out in High-King (how could she be against Maimi and Saki and Ai?). I also assumed that since they were so young that it would be overly cutesy. Their first single was great thought! On sunny days I can't help but wander across campus singing "pyon pyon, fumu fumu, yeah yeah."

This second single is what I had expected the first to be like, sadly. There's nothing about the song that holds my interest. It's got a bland chorus and the intrumentals are too similar to those of "Minna no Tamago" and "Hajimari no Uta."

I was also disappointed to see the girls in the same outfits. I reallize that they are supposed to be the shugo chara, but I wish they had designed some alternate costumes for them. I don't think that these costumes translate very well to real people, and they are kind of boring.

It was nice to see that Wada and Saho have improved vocally. Their voices were a little grating in "Minna no Tamago."

The PV itself is pretty cute. I like the curtains that pull away for the girls' close-ups, the light-up egg chair, and the little eddies of hearts, clubs, spades, and diamonds. I would have preferred less of the anime clips though. They seemed sort of tucked in at random.

Overall I'd rate this release poor to mediocre. Let's hope it has a kick ass B-side!

1 comment:

  1. I think you totally hit the nail on the head, they should of jazzed up the outfits, maybe they could branch out into wearable merchandise like Milky way?
    The PV is verrrry predictable yet it doesn't try to be anything it isnt.
    I hope they pick up the tempo for the next single.

    ReplyDelete